What do I do with large items that are considered bulky waste?

Large items that cannot fit into your trash cart are considered bulky waste and are collected separately. These items usually consist of furniture and appliances. Only single family residences may participate in the program. Multi-unit, private drives, commercial businesses and apartment complexes are exempt from this program. All accounts may bring items to the Transfer Station during normal operating hours for a fee. Ward clean ups are also available for bulky waste (see Ward Bulky Waste cleanups FAQ). Each single family residence is allowed one free bulky waste collection per year. Additional collections are available for $45. The Boston Mountain Solid Waste District provides a bulky waste program and can be reached at 888-426-9278 or 479-846-3005.

Bulky waste collections are divided into three categories: household furniture/large household items, metals materials and brush. Quantities are limited to five items per collection; all items are to be from one category. Collections are scheduled through the Recycling and Trash Collection Office by calling 479-575-8398 and are set on a first-come-first-serve basis. 

Items must be placed by the curb by 5 a.m. on the designated collection day. Items must be placed within six feet of the right of way and not placed within four feet of any fixed objects in the ground, such as a utility meter, mailbox, or fence line. Items may not be placed under trees or low hanging power lines (17 to 20 foot clearance above items is needed). Materials should be placed out for collection no more than 24 hours prior to collection. Items will not be collected from inside a dwelling or alleyway or private drive.

Bulky waste collections for the three different categories occur on different days of the week. Any appliance item that originally contained Freon will not be collected for free in this program. There is a Freon fee per unit to pick up Freon-containing appliances. Residents can deliver appliances containing Freon to the Compost Facility during normal operating hours for a Freon fee per unit. Brush or tree limbs must be no larger than 12 feet long and 5 inches in diameter. View the Freon Recovery Request Form

Hazardous waste, paint, tires, construction debris, lumber, carpet, shingles, and remodeling debris are not included in this program. Drop box containers are available for rental by the city or should be taken directly to the landfill to handle construction debris. For drop box information, please call the Recycling and Trash Collection Office at 479-575-8398. Visit the Bulky Waste web page for more information on the Bulk Pick Up Program

Bulk Pick Up Program

Show All Answers

1. What do you mean by Fayetteville having a Pay As You Throw Trash Program?
2. What do I do if I've got more trash than can fit into my cart on collection day?
3. Can I place loose trash in my cart?
4. Does it matter how the cart is set out for collection?
5. What are the procedures for setting and retrieving my cart?
6. What do I do if my cart is stolen or damaged?
7. What do I do with large items that are considered bulky waste?
8. How do I participate in the ward bulky waste cleanups?
9. How do I set up the trash service?
10. I'm moving out of my house so what do I do with the trash cart?
11. Can I have more than 1 trash cart?
12. What if I am physically unable to get my trash and recycling to the curb?