For Immediate Release
May 2, 2016
Contact: John J. Scott
Parks and Recreation Department
City Seeks Applications for Competition: Food-producing Sustainable Landscapes
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The City of Fayetteville Urban Forestry Advisory Board will recognize best examples of food-producing sustainable landscapes (vegetable gardens, herb and spice gardens, and orchards) by presenting an award to one residential property, one restaurant, and one commercial/civic property on July 11, 2016. Applications will be accepted from addresses located within the Fayetteville city limits. Each participant will receive constructive feedback from the team of landscape judges. The three winning participants will receive a landscape recognition sign that may be displayed for the following year at the winning property, as well as a certificate of award and a winner's sundial. Please visit the Urban Forestry’s webpage for more information and application details.
Three Categories for Awards
1. Best Residential Gardens: residential gardens producing vegetable, fruits, herbs or spices
2. Best Restaurant Garden: restaurants producing their own seasonal crops as ingredients for their menu items.
3. Best Commercial or Civic Garden: commercial or civic gardens producing food for charity, members, employees, or for the sale to the general public (schools, nonprofit organizations, farms, churches, businesses, etc.)
• May 27, 5 p.m.: last day to enter the awards competition
• June 20 to June 26: dates the judges will schedule a visit to your garden
• July 11: winners are announced and notified.
• July 16: public tour of winning gardens
The Urban Forestry Advisory Board advises the City Council on urban forestry and arboricultural related issues as part of the City’s green infrastructure. Food produced and consumed locally helps keep a patchwork of fields, meadows, woods, and ponds that provide habitat for wildlife in our community.
Show us your “Gardener’s Pride” by entering the 2016 Sustainable Landscape Award focused on food-producing gardens. Entry forms are located at three locations: Saturday Farmers Market on the Fayetteville Square at the managers/information table, the Parks and Recreation Office on 1455 S. Happy Hollow Road and online at www.fayetteville-ar.gov/339.