FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 30, 2019
Contact: Missy Cole
Human Resources Director
Fayetteville Seeks Candidates for City Clerk-Treasurer
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The City of Fayetteville invites persons who are interested in serving as the City Clerk-Treasurer to learn more about the position and consider applying. The City Clerk-Treasurer is an elected position with a four-year term. Unfortunately, the City’s previous City Clerk-Treasurer, Sondra E. Smith, recently passed away. Fayetteville City Council members will review applications, interview candidates, and appoint a person to serve the remainder of the term (approximately 13 months).
Interested applicants MUST meeting the following minimum qualifications:
- Meet election criteria for the position as required by Arkansas state law
- Resident of the City of Fayetteville
- Registered voter in the City of Fayetteville
The City desires that the applicant can serve at least the remainder of the term from December 2, 2019 through December 31, 2020
Preferred qualifications as well as a job description, benefits information, and an application can be found here.
The timeline for the process is as follows:
- Applications will be accepted from Wednesday, October 30 through 5 p.m. on Thursday, November 7. Late applications will not be accepted. Applications must be submitted via the City’s online application system.
- City Council and Mayor will individually select their top candidates.
- The City Clerk’s Office will notify the top five applicants by 12 p.m. on Tuesday, November 12.
- Selected top five applicants must be present in room 326 of City Hall by 5 p.m. on Thursday, November 14. These applicants will draw for interview slots at 5 p.m. If an applicant selected to be interviewed is not on time, they will be disqualified.
- City Council will then hold a special meeting on November 14 to interview candidates and will announce the new City Clerk-Treasurer during the meeting.
- The new City Clerk-Treasurer will begin work on Monday, December 2.
- The City Clerk-Treasurer will be sworn into office at the City Council meeting on Tuesday, December 3.
Please note that City Council meetings are recorded and broadcast live. All applications are subject to Arkansas’s Freedom of Information Act laws.
To learn more about the Office of the City Clerk-Treasurer, please visit this webpage.