Maintenance & Repair Responsibilities

What are the maintenance and repair responsibilities for the City Transportation Division?

The Transportation Division provides services only within the public right-of-way and where drainage easements exist. Not all streets fall under city jurisdiction. The Washington County Road Department maintains paved and gravel roads outside the Fayetteville city limits. Maintenance and improvements on private streets are the responsibility of the property owner or the Property Owner Association. The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Division (AHTD) is responsible for maintaining highways, interstates, and access roads within Fayetteville city limits.
This includes all or a portion of the following:

  • Interstate 49
  • Highway 265 (Crossover Road)
  • Highway 45 (Mission Boulevard)
  • Highway 112 (Garland Avenue, Razorback Road)
  • Highway 16E (W 15th Street, Huntsville Road)
  • Highway 16W (Wedington Drive)
  • Highway 62 (Martin Luther King Boulevard - West of Interstate 49)
  • Highway 180 (Martin Luther King Boulevard - East of Interstate 49)
  • Highway 156 (Willoughby Road, City Lake Road)
  • Highway 71B (College Avenue, Archibald Yell Boulevard, School Avenue)
For questions or concerns regarding areas maintained by the State of Arkansas, please contact the local AHTD office by phone at 479-251-8418.