City Clerk Treasurer Kara Paxton's Homepage
City Clerk Treasurer Kara Paxton:
Kara Paxton grew up in Central Arkansas and joined the Army National Guard in March of 2001. After completing Boot Camp and Advanced Individual Training, she deployed overseas during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Kara was awarded the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Mobilization Device, and an Army Service Ribbon. Kara served from 2001 until 2005 and was awarded an honorable discharge from the Army National Guard.
After Kara completed her service to her country, she went on to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Technology from Arkansas State University. She worked part-time at the college in the Financial Aid and Scholarship Department while obtaining her degree. In her last year at ASU she served as the Vice President of the Association of Information Technology Professionals.
After completing her Bachelor of Science degree, Kara obtained a position as a Service Representative with the Social Security Administration and worked diligently to be promoted to a Claims Representative. While completing her training as a Claims Representative she was also working on her Master of Science Degree from American Sentinel University. She graduated from American Sentinel University with an MS in Information Systems Management achieving a 4.0 GPA. Her experience as a military member, Service Representative, and Claims Representative was extremely valuable to her. It shaped her not only as a person but also shaped her leadership style. She believes every person should be treated with kindness and respect no matter what their past or current circumstance is. She believes in financial responsibility and is grateful to serve the Citizens of Fayetteville.
Kara found her love of Public Service as a child. Both of her parents were Public Educators and her Grandfather had served in WWII and received the bronze star. Kara was able to attend many of the meetings her father went to and loved meeting people and listening to their presentations. Since starting work around the age of 12 for her family’s gas stations by bagging ice on the weekends and cooking meals for the customers she found that she loved hearing people’s stories and getting to know the regular customers at the store.
Kara and her husband, Kristifier Paxton, have always loved the City of Fayetteville. They have two children and always encourage their children to be active in the community by helping others first.
City Clerk Treasurer Kara Paxton’s Favorite Quote:
“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying. ’I will try again tomorrow.’” ~Mary Anne Radmacher
- Attend all regular and special City Council meetings, and prepare the City Council Agendas and Minutes for the official minute record book
- Directly supervise the development and implementation of record retention policies and procedures in accordance with State law
- Maintain a current listing of the City boards and committees, advertise for vacancies, and schedule interviews for vacancies
- Maintain the City Code of Ordinances
- Maintains the Policy and Procedure manual for City policies and coordinates updates to City policies
- Provides Notary service
- Provides support for the City Council
- Responsible for the coordination of City elections with the Election Commission
- Schedule meetings for various City meeting rooms and provide notification to staff and the public of these meetings
- Serves as ex-officio secretary and a voting member to Firemen’s Pension and Relief Fund Board of Trustees and Treasurer and a voting member of the Policemen’s Pension and Relief Fund Board of Trustees. Attends the meetings and prepares the agendas, minutes, and appropriate correspondence for the Board Members @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>