City Utilities

The City of Fayetteville provides water and sewer service, and trash and recycling. You will need to set up a new water and sewer account when you move into your new home. These services are billed monthly and payable to the City of Fayetteville. 

Water and Sewer Services

To start new water service the Application for Water Service (PDF) form must be filled out completely and signed, along with:

  • a valid picture ID
  • a copy of your signed lease agreement
  • a $50 deposit 

New service must be set up in person at our office at City Hall in downtown Fayetteville:

City Hall
113 W. Mountain Street
Fayetteville, AR 72701

Open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information call 479-521-1258.

Water and Sewer Payments

Water and sewer services are billed monthly. The bills can be mailed to your address or delivered by email ("paperless billing"). Bills can be paid online at online bill pay, by telephone, in person at City Hall or by mail. You can also set up an automatic bank draft payment, which will withdraw the payment from your bank account on the due date each month, without any action required on your part. View more information about payment options.

Trash and Recycling

Note: Trash and recycling service is set up along with your water service. Visit the New Water and Sewer Services page to begin this process. You may also set up water and sewer service in person by visiting the Business Office on the first floor of City Hall.


The City collects household trash and recyclable paper and plastic once a week. Which day of the week depends on your address. Learn what day of the week your trash will be collected. How much you pay depends on what size trash bin you choose. Learn more about the City's "Pay-As-You-Throw" trash cart program. You do not have to set up new recycling and trash programs, these will be activated when you set up your water and sewer service. 


Each single-family home is provided with a rolling trash cart and two bins for recycling plastics and paper. These must be placed next to the curb the evening before your scheduled pick-up date. (view more information on how to organize your recycle bins.) You are charged for this service on your monthly City utility bill. 

Residents who live in apartments will have access to a large community dumpster for household trash. Some apartment complexes provide a special container for recyclables, as well. If your apartment complex does not have a recycling bin, you may bring your recyclables to one of the City's recycling drop-off sites.

What You Can Recycle in a Curbside Bin

  • Glass bottles and jars (any color)
  • Aluminum cans (no aluminum foil or pans)
  • #1 and #2 plastic bottles (with an opening smaller than the base)
  • Steel cans
  • Cardboard and paperboard, including pizza boxes (please flatten boxes)
  • Mixed paper and newspaper including junk mail and magazines.

What You Can Recycle at the Drop-Off Sites

  • Corrugated cardboard (must be flattened)
  • Aluminum cans (no foil, foil pans or scrap metal)
  • Glass bottles and jars, all colors (no dishes, ceramics, light bulbs or other glass items accepted)
  • Mixed paper: (office paper, magazines, phone books, etc.) 
  • Newspaper (please remove plastic wrapping)
  • Paperboard or chipboard (cereal or shoe boxes, etc., must be flattened and placed in with the cardboard)
  • Plastic #2 (milk jugs, detergent bottles, etc. - lids are okay)
  • Plastic bottles #1 (soda, water, shampoo bottles, etc. - lids are okay)
  • Steel or tin cans (no scrap metal)
  • Old running shoes and glasses are also accepted for special recycling at the Marion Orton location.

Electricity and Gas Services 

These services are provided by outside companies. View information on electricity and gas services in Fayetteville.