What is this project?
This one-mile section of Garland Ave (Hwy 112) will complete the widening of this roadway from the University north to I-49 tying into the new interchange improvements.
The project will include:
- Widening the existing 2-lane roadway to a four-lanes divided roadway with a 9-foot center median and turn lanes at side streets.
- A 6-foot-wide sidewalk will be constructed along the west side of the roadway.
- A 12-foot-wide Multi-use trail will be constructed along the east side of the roadway.
- Creation of a two-lane roundabout at the intersection of W. Altheimer Drive and Cassatt Street.
- Upgrades traffic signals at the intersection of Drake Street and Garland Avenue.
Why is it important?
This arterial will provide another major access to the University and athletic events from the newly constructed I-49 interchange on the north. It will provide additional capacity and safety for the growing campus of the U of A.
What is the current status?
The City has hired Burns and McDonnell Engineering Company as the design consultant. The City received review comments on the 90% plans from Arkansas Department of Transportation (ARDOT) in November 2021. The City received Environmental Clearance on March 1, 2023, and was given authorization to begin land acquisition. A real estate appraiser has been hired to analyze nine tracts of land. We anticipate the appraisal work to be complete and approved by ARDOT in six months after which negotiations will begin with the property owners.
When is completion expected?
Construction should take approximately 18 months to complete. Construction is anticipated to begin in early 2024.
How was this project funded?
This project is funded by the State via a partnering agreement with ARDOT, which was approved by City Council in January 2017.
Roadway Roll Plot
Construction Plan Sheets