Becoming a Firefighter
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEB. 8, 2021
So you want to be a Fayetteville Firefighter?
Are you ready to join the ranks of the Fayetteville Fire Department? Are you ready to start a career in the fire service that will be challenging, progressive, and rewarding all at the same time? If so, you’ve come to the right place. Below we’ve outlined the steps to becoming one of Fayetteville’s bravest.
Step 1. Let’s check your qualifications
If you are an applicant that is 21-35 years of age, at a minimum you must possess:
- High School Diploma
- Valid Drivers License
If you are an applicant that is 18-20 years of age, at a minimum you must possess:
- High School Diploma
- Valid Driver’s License
- AND one of the following:
- Nationally Registered as an EMT (NREMT) or (AREMT)
- Firefighter l and Firefighter ll certification from an accredited fire academy such as IFSAC, NFPA, or Pro-Board
- 12 accredited college hours
- At least 2 years of honorable service in the US Armed forces
Do You Qualify? Great!
Step 2. Complete a City of Fayetteville Application
Here at Fayetteville, we’re always accepting applications. Fill yours out through the link below.
When you apply, you must include the following documents
- Birth Certificate
- High School Diploma or GED
- Current Driver’s License
- DD-214 (for applicants with prior military experience)
Step 3: Take the Required Tests
In addition to the application, you must pass a written test and a Candidate Physical Ability Test.
- Register for your written test through National Testing Network (NTN) here: National Testing Network (NTN) FireTEAM Test
Applicants must achieve a passing score on the written FireTEAM test in order to be eligible to complete the testing process. The minimum passing scores for this test are: 70% Human Relations, 60% Mechanical, 80% Reading and 70% Math. You may wish to login to NTN’s website and compare your scores to see if you’ve achieved a passing score.
- Register to take your Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) through this link: https://www.nwatoa.site/cpat-testing/
Step 4: Application Review
The Fire Department will review all applications to ensure they are complete and all initially required documentation is there.
At this stage, the Fire Department will contact eligible candidates to continue the process. This may include further documentation.
Step 5. Applicant Interviews
Once selected, applicants with go through an interview process. The first interview will be a panel interview with members of the Dire Separtment. Questions may include,
- Prior job experience
- Fire department-related situational exercises
- Character questions
- Knowledge of fire service and Fayetteville Fire Department
This interview is used for us to get to know YOU. Applicants are encouraged to be themselves and put their best foot forward. Your career could be 28+ years, and we want you to start it here!
Your second and final interview will be with the Fayetteville Civil Service Commission. They are residents of Fayetteville who are appointed to the committee. Their interview will focus on potential applicants from a civilian point of view.
Step 6. Eligibility List
Congrats! You’ve completed the process to becoming a Fayetteville Firefighter. From here, the fire department will send out a ranked eligibility list. Applicants who are on the list will be eligible for employment with the Fayetteville Fire Department.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Any questions or inquiries for the application and hiring process can be directed to
- Battalion Chief Sloat (479)575-8365 or firstname.lastname@example.org