FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 22, 2018
Contact: Ted Jack
Park Planning Superintendent
Parks and Recreation Department
City Issues Second Survey and Publishes Results from First Phase of Parks Strategic Planning Process
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Initial efforts are underway to create the Parks and Recreation new ten-year strategic plan: Imagine Tomorrow’s Parks. The 18-month long planning process will evaluate existing conditions, seek in-depth public input, and identify areas for growth, improvement, and preservation. Staff has held more than 12 public meetings and have gathered hundreds of responses from the first survey. Findings from the first round of input include:
- The most visited and favorite park is Wilson Community Park.
- Favorite sports activities (involving a ball or disc) are soccer, basketball, baseball/t-ball, tennis, disc golf, and volleyball.
- Trails, off-leash pet areas, open green areas, and places for family gatherings are some of the favorite recreational spaces and facilities.
- Residents feel the parks system is well maintained with a slight need to increase the overall quality.
- Respondents indicated funds should be distributed somewhat evenly between different classifications of parks, with a slight priority toward community parks and support for land acquisitions.
- Citizens are very interested in a park system that emphasizes opportunities to stay connected with nature, and facilities and programs that support an active living lifestyle.
Staff has created a second survey with new questions based on common themes voiced by residents. The Parks and Recreation Department is asking, both those who did and those who did not participate in the first round of surveys, to take the second survey. This will help develop a strategic plan that is tailored to our community.
Information about the plan including a timeline, email notification signup, data resources, results from the first survey, and a link to the second survey can be found at www.fayetteville-ar.gov/imagine.
The second survey should take approximately 8-10 minutes and can be accessed at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/imagineparks2. Thank you, we appreciate your efforts to Imagine Tomorrow’s Parks in Fayetteville!